Tombolo Customer Experience Manager
'Customer Experience Manager' (Manhattan, NY)
Tombolo is hiring a ‘Customer Experience Manager’ based out of Manhattan.
Start Date: As soon as immediately / flexible
This is ‘jack-or-jill-of-all-trades’ role where the candidate will be thrown into multiple aspects of the business with a particular focus on customer service, retail, customer/omni-channel experience, events and operations.
The candidate will work 4 days a week out of Tombolo’s Soho office and 1 day a week out of the Nolita flagship store. Competitive salary.
The ideal candidate must:
-have excelled in undergrad where they received their B.A.
-have excellent writing skills
-be a proactive self-starter who can work entrepreneurially
-be a logical thinker with attention to detail, yet…
-…think creatively and flexibly, able to jump between projects and handle an evolving job context and getting their hands dirty: does not have the ‘but that’s not my job!’ impulse
-have a passion for travel/new people/new experiences
It would be a plus if the candidate:
-has experience/aptitude in retail
-has experience/aptitude in operations/logistics and/or customer service and/or events (in a retail context in particular is a plus)
-financial/data analysis and forecasting, i.e., is at home in Excel
-has a working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and/or photography/photoshoot/technical apparel skills
-has digital marketing / e-commerce experience, i.e. has been ‘under the hood’ of Facebook Ads, Google Ads, Shopify, Klaviyo/MailChimp, Gorgias/Zendesk, ShareASale, etc.
-has social media expertise (TikTok in particular)
-has 1-3 years of work experience in relevant field(s), i.e., retail, operations, logistics, merchandising, fashion, finance, marketing, start-ups, e-commerce, editorial, fashion, hospitality, public relations
-is passionate about clothing production and design
-has experience working as a part of a small team
-has experience managing a team
All of these skills will support the following responsibility buckets:
The strategic importance of customer service
-You will spearhead Tombolo’s customer service via our platform Gorgias, and this will flow into liaising with our third-party logistics warehouse to ensure optimal customer experience.
-Tombolo’s customer service mantra is to treat our customers like we treat our friends (i.e., no deadlines and discounts to trick them into purchasing, no ‘the policy is 30 days for a return and it’s day 38! Sorry!’). It might be UPS’ fault if a package is going to miss Father’s Day, but that’s no excuse not to bend over backwards to do what we can to ensure they get their gift in time.
-Customer service is incredibly strategic and not something to be outsourced or disregarded. It’s our opportunity to present the best of Tombolo to customers, whether it be our ecofriendly materials and commitments to environmental and social causes, or our friendly and self-deprecating brand tone.
-Tombolo believes that every team member must chip in and contribute to customer service to stay close to the customer and understand potential issues and pain points; the whole team including the two founders will all contribute significantly to customer service, and future hires will as well. While you will spearhead this task, you will share it with the entire team and also learn the art of training others in it as we grow.
- You will be an integral part of the relationship with our third-party logistics company that handles all storage and order fulfillment: liaising with them, optimizing processes, day-to-day management, etc. This dovetails with customer service, as it entails the back-end of many customer inquiries regarding their order status, delays, lost shipments, item changes, preorder management, etc.
OMNI-CHANNEL RETAIL / CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE / EVENTS
Bridge between physical retail and e-comm
-You will step in to assist with retail in the flagship Manhattan store, helping improve processes and streamline the in-store experience so that it is consistent with the Tombolo brand. (Flagship store opening slated for July). In this context, you will work 1 day per week in a retail capacity out of the store and serve as the primary point of contact between Tombolo brick & mortar and Tombolo HQ.
-You will oversee hybrid processes such as in-store pickup, omni-channel sales/auctions (i.e., a from-the-vault sale that simultaneously takes place in-store and online), Tombolo’s shirt-a-day giveaway promotion, etc.
Seamless omni-channel brand presentation
- Devising and implementing creative strategies to make the customer journey as (1) frictionless, (2) enjoyable, and (3) consistently Tombolo as possible across all channels
- Helping ensure that the Tombolo brand and emotional connection should carry across all customer interaction, wherein a customer gets a clear, consistent, and positive impression of Tombolo whether they are referred by a friend and head to the website, are served a social media advertisement, walk past a Tombolo billboard, or walk into one of Tombolo’s two permanent stores (Montauk opened Memorial Day Weekend and the flagship in Nolita is slated for July). All of these channels should reinforce each other creatively. This extends to employees embodying Tombolo, whether retail associates or interns, and you will take on a managerial role ensuring that they do so. If you can assist with Tombolo social media strategy (TikTok in particular), that is a plus.
Spearheading loyalty and customer engagement
-You will oversee Tombolo’s digital loyalty program.
-You will work on best leveraging user-generated content to build customer enthusiasm and retention and to support marketing efforts.
Assisting with Tombolo’s event calendar
-In this context, you will also serve as a Tombolo brand ambassador and events manager. You will be just as comfortable on a complex digital assignment as you will be conceptualizing and overseeing a Montauk store activation where you are shaking hands with customers and friends of the brand.
-You will work in tandem with the flagship store manager to build out the store’s events calendar and activations.
-You will help with the planning and execution of Tombolo’s many events (typically collaboration launch parties).
Given the small size and fast-growing nature of Tombolo, this role will be very dynamic. The above overview of areas of focus is merely a starting point and should not limit the universe of opportunity. Your role will evolve as the business grows, and you should expect to take on more responsibility and a management role quickly.
Company Perks + Quirks
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Tombolo believes in transporting customers to their ideal state of mind and that is true for employees too. Tombolo offers unlimited paid vacation days (with advance notice), and encourages a balanced work-life experience with an emphasis on results rather than a rigid commitment to hours spent in the office. We want you to embrace healthful and inspiring priorities outside of work. In addition, you are encouraged to spend two days per year volunteering, which will be paid absences. Finally, Tombolo will host an experiential off-site at least once per year as a team-building exercise.
- Flexible working arrangements, partially remote work is acceptable. We are open to flexible working arrangements, including working from home as needed.
- Fitness benefits
- Product benefits: e., stipend of monthly free product
- NYC-based, full-time: ~4 of 5 days in office, ~1 of 5 days in store
- Start date: immediate, as soon as feasible
To apply, please email email@example.com with a cover letter and your resume.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis as we attempt to fill the role expediently. Due to the volume of applications, we cannot guarantee a personal response.